Sunday, July 1, 2007

Nothing from Stephen Harper

I just opened up Microsoft Word to write nothing. Seriously, nothing. Janet Rubin threatened to do something to me if I didn’t submit something soon. I can’t remember what that something is but it must have tethered itself to the “fear stupid” portion of my brain. The “fear stupid” portion being directly underneath the “What’s That?” lobe. So, I sat there catching up on all my lapsed blog readings because …. well, I forget to read them on a regular basis. Some people are known for their humility, their character even their wickedness. I’m known for forgetting stuff. “oh, that’s steve. He mostly shakes hands, calls you by the wrong name and always asks what the date is”. But I digress. I forgot, I am also known for digressing. Anyway, read I did to be inspired. Who’s kidding who, read I did to steal. I needed an idea so I was going to piggyback on the wonderful posts from Art for the Heart. Turns out I can’t even crawl up on the back of those pigs. Not that any of those posts could be mistaken for a pig unless of course it was about a pig. Oh. Yeah, I didn’t catch ALL the way up on my readings. So, if you indeed wrote a devotional about us sending our personal demons into the metaphorical pigs of our lives to run screaming to a metaphorical or even a metaphysical sea or had a beautiful photo of the sun setting behind a ….. pig …. then I apologize for missing it. Well, maybe not for missing that particular visual epic because, y’know, it’s a pig. Big fan of bacon but aside from Arnold on Green Acres one can’t really point to a pig at any time in history as a reference of beauty, an inspiration for war or something that Michelangelo would have chipped in marble to be auctioned off for sick millions of dollars at Sotheby’s. And we all join in as I say “but I digress”. What am I getting back to? You guessed it kids, nothing. And that is my point. At 51 (or there abouts. My wife will correct me) I have traveled from knowing exactly where I am going to a grinding painful halt of nothing. I do my job. I even like my job. But it’s sort of like the guy that sets up the equipment for the bands. It’s the bands that give juice to the performance. The band that inspires the crowd. Sometimes you want to be the one that inspires. So, I do the lifting and I go home but I notice that I just sit. Nothing. I read, watch the tube and …. nothing. I could create a sitcom about nothing but Seinfeld already had it’s run. No piggy to back there. So, I opened Microsoft Word and typed in the default font, Times New Roman. And I’m thinking of writing about that. I am a Times New Roman. Pretty tasty subject, no? No. Well even if it is it’s going to have to wait to the next threat because this ain’t nothing. And doing something is exhausting. Peace.

15 comments:

batgirl said...

Steve, I'm only going to say one thing, and you'll have to understand that I'm saying this with the utmost feeling:

You're really SOMETHING. Thanks for sharing this.

Anonymous said...

Steeeevo
Don't you know that Arnold Ziffle IS the brains down in Hooterville? For the love of Oliver Wendall Douglas man, don't you realise that if he was into music instead of westerns he'd BE the setup guy for the band? In the name of Lisa's cosmateticals I believe if God hadn't declared pigs unclean Arnold would be the one at the door making the pigs feel a little less piggish. When someone does that for you, you really don't care if they can't remember your name. Love Judy

Anonymous said...

You have said something by saying nothing, Steve. Mission accomplished.
You are indeed a character for the Lord. Celebrate that. The piece was fun and allowed my brain to just meander through the topics. Read it again, Steve. You did say something...

Have a cup o'joy and put your feet up....one little piggy went to market...try it. It is a relaxation exercise bar none. I wouldn't do it out loud, though. It sounds pretty bizarre...

Thanks for sharing(really).

It is getting late and my mind is going a little loopy.

Lynne

Anonymous said...

Judy,

You are a scream. I like the way your mind works.

Bless you, sister.

Have a cup o'joy...
Lynne

Helios Power and Control said...

this is inspired by your treatise on nothingness, stephen.
kafka is driving beckett up country to an existentialist's weekend retreat. beckett is silent, kafka endeavors to make conversation.
so, have you...
SILENCE. VAIN CHATTER IS AN EMBARRASSMENT TO THE MIND.
well, i just wanted...
BUFFOONERY. DESIRE IS AN ILLUSION RESERVED FOR FOOLS.
sorry, i just thought...
WEARY ME NOT. REGRET IS THE CRUTCH OF THE ANXIOUS. THOUGHT IS A MASK FOR THE SILLINESS OF THE DELUDED.
oh... there's camus. he appears to be traveling alone.
PULL OVER. I WILL SEEK THE COMPANY OF A MORE ENLIGHTENED SOUL. THERE IS NO TRUE ESCAPE, BUT I MUST GET AWAY FROM YOUR DRIBBLING NICETIES.
as you wish, sir. here we are. and he appears to be just leaving...
kafka helps beckett out of his car and into camus' flivver, nodding to the other novelist in a fraternal way. as they drive away, kafka hurries to his car and follows at a polite distance until he hears the gunshot. he smiles to himself.
thanks for all the nothing, steve. you make a guy think.

Unknown said...

That was inspiring!!! What you explained is like what mom's do much of the times...we forget, as we have so much on our minds(as I know you do), we do our work and we love what we do, but most importantly it is as if we put up and take down for the bands...but, if you think about it you are the foundation for the inspiration...without you the show could not go on!!! Thanks for all you do and write. Please continue on as it blesses the rest of us.

Robert said...

Steve what you do not realize is that it takes a lot of parts to make a whole. When God created our universe, he started with nothing and look what WE ended up with. I just spent the week-end with two boys one 5 and the other7. Talk about getting your brain lubercated. But what a joy. We went places in our minds I never could have gone with out them. Bless those children.

And you are like those boys only bigger. You help us to go places we never dreamed of.

May I quote you? " Gawd bless em"

Helios Power and Control said...

difficult to demonstrate the existence and function of nothing, clouded as it is by so many good things happening in it. the nothing in steve's fecund imagination is sort of like space, which is viewed as being empty, yet it holds all the good stuff. so here we are, all clustered around steve's piece, warming our hands and being inspired by.... nothing? don't think so, steve.
george mcdonald said of space, "the heavens teem with life." and so does steve harper.

Unknown said...

thanks for nothing...

Anonymous said...

nothing must be something, they say it lasts forever.

batgirl said...

Wow. Much ado about nothing.

ellehasuly said...

I agree, Janet...much ado has been said about Steve's "Nothing...". It's nothing short of something worthwhile. In fact, nothing would be more fun on this blog than to see Steve write something else..."Nothing"did indeed give us a glimpse into the land of Steve..."Nothing..." did indeed say something that deserved expression...It was really something to read it to get a glimpse of Steve on the screen.

C'mon, Steve...
write something else, as nothing else will add what you can add to the blog...


Have a cup o'joy,
a tub of hummus,
...and a fresh taste of the bread of heaven...

Lynne

Hannah said...

did I miss something ?????
since when did the blog turn into speaking in a foreign language
I got a headache...
:):0 :)

Anonymous said...

I am not really anonymous, and Steve if you think YOU ARE WAY BEHIND on reading the blog, you are WAY ahead of me!!! O.K. so I'd rather read your "nothing" than....eat yummy ice cream, take a bubble bath, read my favorite author Francine Rivers, spend time with Bill (O.K. that last one may be a little fib, but the rest are true!). I love ya Steve! If I am sad, I can just read your blog messages and get all giggly and happy inside again. Keep making us laugh. It is good for the soul! From Lisa - the other half of Bill.

jhj said...

i'm the behindest of all of yas.....
i'm in september and nothing was in july. where was i? not on the blog i guess.
just wanted you to know that i could really relate...thanks steve.
judith