Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Serving Where Nobody Knows Your Name

I inhaled deeply and stepped into the church foyer. I moved along with the strangers also making their way toward the sanctuary door, comfortable beneath my cloak of anonymity. Men and women I did not know threw me nods, smiles, and “good mornings.” They didn’t know my name, nor could they see the shame I bore, yet I clutched my Bible tight against my chest as if to hide a scarlet letter.

A short and perpetually smiling woman just outside the door handed me a bulletin and since this was my second month attending the church, I was no longer surprised when she tackled me with a bear hug. In fact the embrace was like balm to my wounded spirit. Non-judgmental arms wrapped around a repentant soul. Thank You, Lord, for leading me here.

It was strange being unknown. In my old place of worship I had the notoriety of Norm on Cheers; yes, everybody knew my name. One couldn’t read through the bulletin without seeing it many times: For more information, contact Janet Rubin, See Janet Rubin regarding library donations, Chairperson: Janet Rubin… That was me—religious super-woman, loved an admired by all.

Until I fell.

So here I was, stripped of my choir robe, my titles, and my pride. Only wanting healing, understanding I was no longer good enough to serve. Still bleeding from my self-inflicted wounds as well as the ones left by people I’d called friends. The music, already playing, swept over me as I entered. A young man sang into the microphone—words that seemed written for me: All who are thirsty, all who are weak, come to the fountain, dip your heart in the stream of life…

And I found myself in front of the only person whose name I knew. Steve. Bare feet, long hair, and dangling earring. He looked more like a club bouncer than an associate pastor, but he’d been the first person I met when searching out a new flock to hang with, and his friendly manner had quenched most of the fear that came with venturing into a new flock. It had been Steve who’d answered the phone when I called, Steve who’d sent me pamphlets and a sermon tape in the mail, Steve who greeted with the warmest of smiles and hugs each week.

And today he did more than that. He bent his hulking frame over so his voice could be heard over the music. “Janet, can you do me a favor and help pass out communion today?”

I froze in my tracks. Pass out communion? That was a job for men, not women. Men in suits with titles like deacon or elder. Who was I to pass out the elements? Especially me. I probably shouldn’t even be participating.

I rose up on tiptoes to whisper in his ear. “I would like to. I really would...”

Apparently, thinking I was finished, he slapped me on the shoulder. “Cool. Thanks.”

I shook my head. “No, I mean you guys don’t really know me, Steve. I’ve really screwed up. Sinned big time…”

He looked at me with what seemed amusement. “We all have, sister. That’s what Jesus died for.”

I hesitated. “You’re sure it’s okay? You don’t know what I did.”
He nodded. “It’s all about grace.”

The sincerity in his expression convinced me he really had no qualms about delegating the sacred task to me. Something in my spirit stirred, excited at the idea that I was not truly useless in the kingdom.

Two hours later I made my way down the aisle, passing a plate of broken crackers to men, women and children—strangers yet family. Me serving the Lord. And it felt okay. It felt better than okay. There was no glory for me. I was still unknown. And all at once I understood that serving was a gift.

When I was done with passing out the little cups of grape juice, I took some for myself. And when the pastor gave the go ahead, I ate my cracker, drank my juice, understanding for the first time what the point of it was—He bled, He died because I needed saving. Chiefly because I wasn’t good enough or clean enough.



And by His stripes my healing began.

11 comments:

batgirl said...

This was my response to Steve's post. What I've written here is just how a very small part of what Steve does impacted me in a huge way. And no, that wasn't Steve being artistic; it was Steve doing his job and doing his ministry. But when I really think about it, it's just a sample of God's artwork, and God's medium isn't paint or clay, but people. To paint this part of the picture which is my life, he used Steve, Joe, Pat Ladd, the worship band... When we aren't being artistic, if we're serving God, we're still part of the ART. Thanks, brother, for making me feel at home. I needed that so badly then.

batgirl said...

Ha! I tried really, really hard to think of a devotional involving pigs so I could say you inspired it, but alas, I just couldn't do it!

batgirl said...

Ooh, look at all the comments I'm getting. I'm soooo popular!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Janet...
Just do your thing in your earthsuit and you will be fulfilling your destiny...I love ya just the way you are. You are a goofball, but then that is why I love ya...
This was beautiful. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Have a cup o'joy..
Lynne

Unknown said...

Janet, wonderful post...I love your honesty and the pictures you paint with your word choices. This made me choke up. Thanks! Steve is all that and more!

Helios Power and Control said...

all fallen, all filthy, all shamed, all in need of a square meal and a friend. but not all are steve enough to understand and accept Jesus. good one, janet. you say steve quenches your fears? he has the opposite effect on me... bless youse...

Anonymous said...

Alright people, it's obviously time to put a tamborine in Steve's hand. All in favor say "I". Who's gonna plug him in? But I digress...great job Janet. With you around who needs to buy books?

batgirl said...

Thanks, Judy! Steve rocks. I think we should all get T-shirts with his picture on them:) I'm so glad you've joined the blogfest. Your comments are better than my posts!

ellehasuly said...

Great comments, folks!

Janet,
I am blessed that you came to fellowship with us. Your posts are real slices of humanity that speak to my heart in a direct and fresh way...

Judy,
Your comments are delightfully original. I am overjoyed to see you commenting and posting...keep it coming, sister!

Mama Tried,
You are hysterical. I have to take laugh breaks to be able to continue commenting...stay in your groove and let it rip!

Christa,
I'm with you...This post did make me choke up. I think we have all had times where Steve was there with his genuine interest and infectious laugh. We need to get him to write more. Put a bug in his ear if you get the chance or the inspiration(whichever comes first...).

...ok...I think I am finished for the time being...

have a cup o'joy,
a tub of hummus,
a little hog and a little quiche,
...and a blessed day.

Lynne

Robert said...

What you have so clearly described is why we love
Calvary. When we left our last place of worship, we
felt like we had gone through a divorce. People in town would not speak to me. And these were people who I considered were all part of the body.

As for Steve and Joe, they have impacted my life in a huge way. But I'm sure you feel the same way.

ellehasuly said...

Robert,

Yes, I think we all agree why we love our local expression of the body of Christ. It is a place where everybody knows that they are loved and accepted the way they are. Noone has to jump through hoops of fashion or preconceived ideas of who they should be.

Have a cup o'joy...
Lynne