Wednesday, July 11, 2007

The Garden in Summer

It's July now.Most of the spring was spent moving into summer, the celebrations of may, and time spent cutting and fighting the yard and what I consider the monster," cutting the lawn".
It's good for the heart and good for the mind and the cloud that always collects inside over the winter. But I'm always glad when the heat hits and the grass slows down. And I can slow down.

But finally it has come time to look more closely at the flower beds and the newly arrived transplants. It has always been a wonder to me that no matter how many flowers I give away there are alway more to grace my landscape.
Mine is not a perfect landscape. My yard is not cut with nail trimmers. The older I get the more the yard seems to change. Some of the change is change I have done with my simple tools. Other change has been brouht about by vines that out grow my ability to cut them down. Or tree limbs and trees that have fallen only to become back drops to ferns and iris. Mine is a yard that depends on natures decay. Brush piles first become homes to birds and bunnies and other creatures that I will never see. As the brush pile falls in on it's self and nature does it's work, these once large piles become food for flowers. A system that is slow but God is patient with me, why should I not take time to listen to him, and watch him do his work. A part of creation.

More on this subject to follow.

Robert

3 comments:

lineypoo said...

This is great Robert. It sounds like we have similar yards. It seems I'm always beating back this beast of a jungle just so I can have a few flowers. They're worth the effort but perhaps I'll take a little more time to smell them in the future. Maybe I'll smell the fragance of God more. Thanks, Judy

batgirl said...

God bless you gardening folks. I love to look at your yards and smell your flowers. But I find no pleasure in getting up close and personal with the dirt. I'd rather sweat jogging than weeding. I kill fish and flowers.However, I think it is so cool how God gives us all things that give us such pleasure and then teaches us things about HIm and about us as we pursue them. Thanks Robert!

ellehasuly said...

I had a very pleasant mental experience as I read your post. I was able to transport myself into a few of those mental images and sighed...

Thanks for the post.

Have a cup o'joy,
Lynne