Sunday, June 24, 2007

Lies from the enemy to a writer

Who do you think you are? You’re pathetic. You don’t have anything to say that’s worth hearing.

You aren’t actually going to let people read that, are you? You know they’ll laugh, right? You’ll look like an idiot. People will think you are arrogant and foolish for even thinking they’d want to read your drivel.

Well, you went and did it—put your amateur ramblings out for all to see. Can you imagine what they are thinking about you? You should be embarrassed.

She told you your writing blessed her? She didn’t mean it. She just felt bad for you.

Those people liked it too? Well, just look at them! They probably consider the Left Behind series classic literature. Wouldn’t know Shakespeare from Danielle Steele. Don’t feel too good about compliments from them.

Okay, you have a point. That fellow is pretty smart, and I don’t think he’d give an insincere compliment. In fact, I was wrong. You know…. You’re really something. Quite talented. Very, very special. Your readers are lucky to have you. The compliments are nice, aren’t they? Feels good to be noticed, admired. Why don’t you write something else so you can get more praise?

You are so wicked! Full of pride. I thought you were doing this for your precious savior. Seems to me you think it’s all about you. I bet God is disgusted with you. You’re a hypocrite—don’t even practice what you preach. You should turn in your pencil.

Excuse me, I hate to interrupt your writing, but I wanted to remind you of the laundry, the dust, your other responsibilities. You’re becoming quite a sloth. All this time spent being creative is pretty self-indulgent. Selfish, selfish, selfish.

Hey, hello! Listen to me. Quit that infernal singing. I’m trying to talk to you. [Curses under his vile breath]. Oh forget it, they never hear me when they’re praying. But, I’ll come back later. I’m getting tired though. She just keeps writing and writing, and even when her heart isn’t right; HE uses it for His kingdom. Ah, what’s that? Not another one thinking about putting his soul’s ponderings on the blog? Better get busy discouraging him…

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good post. I've heard those nasty little whispers on more than one occaision. I think we all have in one way or another(whether it is about writing or not..).

Makes me think about C.S. Lewis' Screwtape Letters...

have a cup o'joy..
Lynne

Anonymous said...

Janet,
get out of my head, there's only room enough for one schiz and I've been here the longest. When the country goes communist then I'll think about sub-letting to you.
peace-over out

Unknown said...

Reminds me of Smegal's conversations with himself...I was scared when I could relate to his self talk....now I feel like I am not alone in battling those thoughts... only mine is not about writing...The enemy is such a liar and a kill joy!! May the word of God be like that sword for us to use to run him through the next time he comes around with those lies!!

Anonymous said...

Judy,
I have got to just come out and say it(after I recover from laughing this hard over your post). I enjoy your responses to life issues. This last one is like something out of the Life of Brian...

Janet,
Sometimes I catch myself believing some of those lies and taking ownership of them as original thoughts. The lies from the enemy are as tenacious as they are nasty and painful if chewed on and digested. It is a comfort to hear from others again and again that I am not alone in this torment. It is a part of the human condition;and magnified as we choose to follow Christ. I rejoice that the Lord has given us the Sword of the Spirit in the form of His Word to combat these lies. Thanks again for this insightful and honest post.

Blessings and hummus...
Lynne

p.s. I suppose that I shall have to reconsider the thought that Lindt chocolates could be a separate food group...or else I will have my rump growing to the size of an elephant...

Anonymous said...

Christa,

I am going to expose my ignorance because I am curious...who is Smegal? I am assuming that he is a character out of a classic novel. Is it a Russian author?

Unknown said...

Smegal is from the Lord of the Rings...he leads the two hobbits to where the ring needs to be destroyed. His other name is Golum(sp?) Smegal use to be his name until the ring's power corrupted him. :-) Have you seen the trilogy yet? It is a great watch.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Christa!

I am familiar with the trilogy. I had forgotten about that character... I can rest now...

Love,
Lynne

Helios Power and Control said...

and every one of them words rang true, and glowed like burning coals... for ten points guess the author...
janet, every line rings a nasty little bell. you must be fighting the same devil i've been hearing from. i find it therapeutic to take a breath, pray to God, and post something about intestinal gas.