Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Stars in the Headlights (continued)

The gift and the apparent difficulty of raising children(God had seen fit to bless them with a boy and a girl)revealed more of who she was than she was presently comfortable with. Marriage itself drew out so much of the dross; kids simply magnified the issues already present. At one point, he had questioned whether she had been having an affair. Right...one man at a time was enough for any woman if she was in her right mind. In reality, keeping one required a combination of resignation and sheer insanity. Women never learn, mostly because they know at their core that a ring could bring to them a richness to the fiber of their days; a gift of God with many disguises.
Her habit of squirreling away pens and paper puzzled and sometimes frustrated her husband. The kids took advantage of a clean wall and decided to get creative more than a few times. It probably bordered on an obsessive-compulsive thing, but there had to be a prize behind door #3. She figured that there must be a purpose behind such an obsession. Domestic life pulled her away from the world of words and imagination; propelling her towards a measure of conflict self-inflicted. The dishes in the sink looked appropriate when she was able to rationalize the neglect of the domestic duty.
The road ahead was closing in on the house they all shared. The evidence of "yard apes" as Nathan liked to call the children, was all over the yard. That fulfilling reminder of joy's promise was a comforting sight. The clutter was actually beautiful; even though it would have to be picked up in daylight. In the back seat, all was quiet; they had to be asleep.

7 comments:

batgirl said...

I've said it before, but I'll say it again; I love your unique voice-- raw emotions tinged with humor. I like it.

ellehasuly said...

Thanks, Janet:). Writing is like breathing for me. I think it is necessary to sustaining life for me:). I suppose that this is just life as I see it.

Cup o'joy
and a fresh taste of the bread of heaven to you!

Love,
Lynne

Anonymous said...

really good, Lynn. Just flows along, sometimes a faster moving stream, other moments deep pools. Love it! I like the dishes looking appropriate. Now that is poetic justification if ever I read it! I shall use it in the future. Believe me, you don't have to own yard monkeys to to have a need for that.

ellehasuly said...

This was the second draft. I cut quite a bit out of the second installment. I did check for flow and continuity:). Thanks for the compliment. I am thrilled that you enjoyed it. Now you know how my mind works...mercy?

Joy,
Lynne

Anonymous said...

What else?

Unknown said...

Wow! I am on the edge of my seat...what is next?

ellehasuly said...

Judy?

Christa,
I am glad you enjoyed it.

Cup o'joy
and a fresh taste of the bread of heaven...

Lynne