Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Stars in the Headlights

Note: This is going to be a short story in installments. Alexander inspired me, Phil:).

It was amazing how different the oncoming headlights looked through tears. They elongated themselves into spikes reaching towards the sky and down towards the depths of the earth. It made her forget how her eyes were burning; aflame with that salty water that comes out of the soul when it is injured. Light was not just light; it was a reflection, a mirror, a window, and a beacon. The light led her to think of Jesus; and the prayers arose from her lips for His mercy to wash over her.
The old tape player put out a song that was sung on her wedding day many years ago. She took him for better or for worse. It had been a mixed bag of both over the time that they had been married. The fall in the garden had taken its' toll on everything. Marriage was definitely one of those entities. Ella came back to the baseline truth that kept her with him: she still loved the guy. The song brought back so many images of daily life and the thundering hooves of children's feet. Anyone who referred to them as "pitter-patter" had not been blessed with children of their own.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lynn, this reminds me of the miles of asphalt I've watered with steering wheel in hand. So American! I've never heard it put better about the thundering hooves, too funny at the end of such sorrow. Nice touch.

batgirl said...

One of those articles you sent to the loop was one by Chip MaGregor on finding your voice. You've already done that, Lynne. Your voice is unique and shines through in everything your write. Some lovely description here.

ellehasuly said...

Thanks for the encouragement ladies. I look at what other people put out there, and I wonder why I bother. Still, I write because I am compelled to try to share the hope that is in me...

Cup o'joy
and a fresh taste of the bread of heaven...

Lynne