Friday, October 5, 2007

On Being American, On Being Displaced

Stephen Harper

To start, I’m feeling a bit melancholy as of late. I can’t quite put my hand to it …. Truth of it is I can put my hand right on it but I don’t care to talk about that. Where am I going? I finished the book Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini recently and I had a passage that affected me and I remembered the page so as to expound. Turns out I didn’t remember the page correctly and the passage is lost as is the intent behind said passage. You see I was going to use the passage to remind me of what struck me. “The mind is a terrible thing to waste.”

It’s o.k. though because there was something else that struck me. The book details the main characters life with his father in pre (Russian) war Afghanistan. First off the book is beautiful. This is the talent that elevates mere words to literature. As I traveled through the book I embraced his center. His knowing where he came from and how distinct that is from other lands, even other villages. Traditions, be they cultural or religious, really give one something to stand on. It gives one a place.

I look at the carnage that is distinctly American. We are the stuff washed up on the far shore. Assembled and stuck together with sweat, even passion. Maybe just survival. It is a land of drive thrus so we don’t have to connect. Connection is messy. When I was a child I remember McDonalds posted the number of burgers sold. Not eaten, just sold. At the point of absurdity they now just trumpet “billions and billions served”. An update of Biblical scriptures would have us numbering our offspring “as the burgers of McDonalds. Verily.

But I realized I don’t have those cultural traditions that are more than quaint. It is a thing that can hold neighbors together and it marks ones territory. Our territory is for sale. My mother’s parents were from Italy. A large Italian family that gathered continually at their home where food was piled high and bocce ball was won not so much from talent but from how susceptible an uncle was from Nonie’s dandelion wine. I was young and there were tons of us always running around the property. Poppi-Joe died. Noni passed within a couple months. I was about 7 or 8. From that point I don’t remember ever getting together as a family again save funerals and weddings. We became Americanized. Separate but equal. My father was neither Italian nor catholic and his family traditions were destitution and alcoholism neither of which he participated in. Thankfully. But what he wasn’t shown, family, was passed on. This wandering distraction of a life. Something just off center. Shallow focus.

Now, we got the money. I live in the wealthiest state in the union which means I live in the wealthiest place on the planet. Anyone that has seen my profile knows I never miss a meal. But there are curses to our blessings. And I’m not so sure we fully understand what a blessing is. Is it small wonder that our children need to bring arms to school to ….. what, even a score? Feel better about themselves? The experts are still swishing that bitter taste in their mouths before they spit out a conclusion. And just like wine it always comes down to individual taste. There is an estimated 30+ serial murderers roaming our country at present. We have the wealth.

All that distilled into this; I am American to the bone. My family gets together on Thanksgiving. Well, one of my two brothers lives in Florida and the other family are all vegetarians. Turkey be damned. Gravy too. I wish I had made up a whole slew of traditions as my kids grew up. I didn’t think to. I didn’t know I was supposed to. They should have just been there. There is nothing that kids do in my neighborhood that I did or my parents did. We are as changing as shopping malls. Even the analogies use current vernacular because nothing old sticks. Or is it metaphor? I used to know the difference.

As I ramble I do realize the spiritual aspect in all of this. Traditions can give one a sense of place. Even in a culture removed from any semblance of God their traditions solidify them. They won’t stalk each other to fulfill a fantasy and they won’t secret their dad's revolver in their knapsack for an ego boost. But then they are left with a gnawing that tradition doesn’t fulfill. There are books of these stories. Truckloads. They even make their traditions God and their burning candles give off a pleasant odor. Even if it covers something that lies decaying just under the sound structure.

The remarkable advantage of being American is that we have no tradition to edify. Our hunger, to, goes to the marrow. Why else do Americans worship all that they do? We are starving. Other cultures abate this hunger with tradition we cover ours with stuff. They set the table exactly the same every generation. But their plates are empty. We pile our paper plates high with salacious abundance all set on TV trays. And when the bite is taken we find it is a semblance of food craftily constructed of Styrofoam

I wasn’t complaining. I really wasn’t. I was just chewing on something and I had to spit it out. Some wines are bitter. Especially wine that comes in a large cardboard box with a pull out plastic spout. Our traditions are every bit as transient as our technology. Every bit as transient as Americans. Yet there are no new uncharted lands to the west. The temperate ideal of southern California is smothered in emissions and an array of highways that don’t drive us together but separate us with vast cement plains. Plains where no buffalo dare roam. America is settling. And unsettling. But in whatever grand political experiment that history has sprinkled over us like some loving compost we find someone gets plowed under. And this always creates fertile conditions for the church to grow. Totalitarianism, fascism, communism, capitalism, harperism ….. yeah, I’ve got a world domination scheme going on. That a problem? Take it up with my security officer after you sign over all your wine boxes, pal.

So, all this comes to what? I always tell my friends that there is no truth in politics. There is no truth in any of it. Save Jesus. Jesus saves. “What’s so remarkable about that steve?”. What’s remarkable is that I am sounding very much like Billy Graham. Without the clout. George Beverly Shea on my iPod. No matter how complicated no matter how fractured it all is Jesus seems to be the constant. Then and now. I’m wondering why, oh why I get so distracted? It’s nothing more than lint exposed in the sun and I’m always the cat dashing after it. Problem is; I’m no cat. How tough can it be to remember that.

14 comments:

batgirl said...

"And this always creates fertile conditions for the church to grow."
I think you put your finger on it right there. The physical world, the current state of things, as you so well describe, is sad and cold and ugly. But in the spiritual realm... it is the Christians in places like China and India who are flourishing. And in THAT realm, we are connected. CONNECTED. We have sweet, sweet traditions like: prayer and worship and communion and forgiveness. Helping one another up, putting others first, all reading the same special BOOK.
I loved this piece, Steve. LOVED it. Thought-provoking, soul-stirring, with stuff to make me both laugh and cry (of course with me that isn't hard to do:)And convicting.
God. Bless. You.

ellehasuly said...

Sir Stephen,

There is quite a bit to mentally chew on with this piece. I loved it. A seed has been planted that will grow into a reply, a response; something to offer in response to the entree you have offered. Thanks for the seed.

Have a cup o'joy
and a fresh taste of the bread of heaven...

Lynne

Unknown said...

"No matter how complicated no matter how fractured it all is Jesus seems to be the constant. Then and now. I’m wondering why, oh why I get so distracted?"
Sums up my life...how'd you know Steve? Are you following me around...watching me??? Stalking me?!!!
Great writing my friend. (Yes, Janet, Steve is my friend too...I know it IS amazing to think about.) Thanks for bringing us back to the constant, He is Jesus and the Lover of our souls.

batgirl said...

That's okay, Christa. I guess there's enough Steve to go around:)

Anonymous said...

Did you know that Spielberg has directed Kite Runner and the boys in the movie have had to be taken out of Afghanistan because of threats to their lives. So much for those quaint "traditions". I think maybe traditions are euphemisms for pride and religion or that's what they eventually become in the wrong hands. And without Jesus to instruct on what the difference is you wind up with, well, the world. America obviously being no exception to the rule. We can't even elect people who can properly quote "a mind is a terrible thing to waste". Was it George Bush or Regan who said "it's a terrible thing to lose one's mind"? And the church? PUHLEESE! Try getting an American christian down to a soup kitchen on the Fourth O' July. Do I judge too harshly? All I can say is, I'm with Jim Elliott when he said "The western church will be judged by the size of their bank accounts and the dust on their bibles". Yeah, I get bummed too Steve, when I forget that "all the promises of God in Him are yes and in Him amen" 2Cor. 1:20 or that "He has given us His very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the Divine nature" 2 Pet. 1:4.

P.S. speaking from experience, those boxes of wine are actually quite good or in my case, used to be!

Anonymous said...

One more thing. (I should have just posted) Being dismayed, depressed, melancholy by the state of things is to fellowship with the sufferings of Christ. He was, after all, a man of sorrows.

Anonymous said...

It was Dan Quale.

batgirl said...

Yeah, but it IS a terrible thing to lose one's mind. :)

Anonymous said...

...if I find mine I'm going to pretend I don't see it. It's a good rule of thumb not to make eye contact, it helps to avoid having to make up excuses and lies.

Helios Power and Control said...

this will be cold comfort to you, steve, but traditions are like antiques: they start out as furniture, get put in the attic, then taken out and restored by a generation feeling dislocated from those "real old values." your traditions are just behaviors now; later they'll beoome customs, and after your time people will say, isn't this great, we're doing the old stuff and it still works. but, you priceless dude, you'll be gone, and unless heaven has cable, you won't get to see it. sorry. bless you, friend-closer-then-brother, and as the lads said forty years ago, "it's so very lonely, you're two thousand light years from home..."

April said...

I just finished reading that book the Kite Runner...and my Papa (my grandfather) is dying. My dad's side of the family is Italian and I grew up going to Papa's on Sunday's for pasta and bocce ball and dessert! I have such rich memories of his house filled with family. Eating in shifts cause there just wasn't room, at least six diffrent conversations taking place down the length of the table...And all that is gone now. My Papa has been living in a nursing home and his house is up for sale. Life goes on and somehow we've all gone our seperate ways. I love tradition cause I hate change. And with my sister's and parents living in diffrent states (of the union) it's easy for me to feel unattached and alone.I keep praying for a family of my own, to have and pass down the traditions I love, to be a wife and a mother, to "belong".
At another blog I frequent they just lost their infant daughter and I love how she puts it...

"Love is not enough. Faith and hope and joy and determination and perserverance and commitment and peace and patience and goodness - they're not enough. They're just pretty words for pretty books that perhaps we'll buy to make ourselves feel better - for a time.

"Not by might, nor by power, but by My Spirit..." Pitch the book. Pitch them all. Don't go running toward something that, at the end of the day, will leave you feeling empty and alone. There is no person, there is no answer, there is no trick or tactic that will ever, ever be to you what He will. Do not be deceived.

My heart aches with the grief of what could have been. But were it not for the cross - for that moment in history where my eternity was secured - I would despair. I rejoice that He offers it. Yes, somehow, we are making it. But it's not by our might. Or by any power. Or by faith or hope or love. It's by His Spirit. May it fall afresh upon us." conorbootheandgirls.blogspot.com the Oct 6th entry

batgirl said...

April, thanks for sharing. That quote was something. Nothing but Jesus...

Can you guys hear the heart-cry? It's in my writing, Steve's writing, Phil's writing, April's comment, Jagger's lyrics even--- this isn't how it's supposed to be, this isn't how it's supposed to be, this isn't how it's supposed to be.
We all know it. And it's life in a fallen world. It hurts. It's cold, it's lonely, it's confusing. I can hardly stand it sometimes. It ISN'T how it's supposed to be. This isn't what our Father wanted for us.
But Jesus.

ellehasuly said...

Sir Stephen,

I have been chewing on the seeds planted in my brain by this latest piece. I, too, have had to spit out a few seeds and they have landed on fertile ground. The...debris...they landed on have sped up their growth rate...The lack of tradition that displaces us can point us to the cross. If we can look beyond the materialism of the modern age, the divots in our souls will cry out and call us back to Jesus. It is our only hope.

ellehasuly said...

Sir Stevealot,

(Can you tell I have Morte D'Arthur running through my brain?)
I have been getting more out of this piece each time I read it. I have something brewing as a result of the repeated readings...there is a bittersweet quality in your pieces that touches the core of my spirit.

Over and out...
Lynne