Monday, October 29, 2007

The Empty Chair

Lynne Hasuly

The chair is empty
among the rows of seats filled with people;
that chair is empty...
He was supposed to have sat there;
offering up his sacrifices of praise
in the midst
of the body of Christ...
talons snatched him
while in the grip of fear;
propelling him towards
the portal of eternity;
and now the chair is empty;
depriving the brethren
of gifts and the joy of fellowship with him;
sorrow's shadow now resides
over the space where he might have sat;
reminding the great cloud of witnesses
that death has come...
and also of the glorious promise that death has lost its' sting.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Halellujah to that! He will not abandon me to the grave. Truly the simplest reminder of what His suffering was about, His unfathomable love for us. What a God! Always great to ponder Lynn.

ellehasuly said...

Gee, Bill! A one word response again. I am amazed at how the Lord provides me with the passion and the words to evoke that response from you. The melancholy in this piece is swallowed up by the ultimate joy. The person I am referring to was a believer. I never met him, but the thought of losing someone like that just melted me. I was daydreaming, and the words just fell out of me. I am thankful that you were blessed.

Have a cup o'joy
and a fresh taste of the bread of heaven...

Lynne

batgirl said...

thank God for hope. without it... we'd be hopeless. and so sad.

ellehasuly said...

I've been thinking of the impact that each of us can have on those around us. What loss there is in the body of Christ when just one of us is immobilized or removed from action. I feel deprived sometimes when I think of it...

Cup o'joy,
Lynne