Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Potholes and Banana Peels

Lynne Hasuly

It happened. I slipped.
That besetting sin snuck into my being and
put the banana peel on my path.
I fell. It hurt.
The pothole I fell into was dark and damp.
I could feel the chill of darkness creep into my bones
and bring with it that familiar ache.
I should have known better than to play with the images;
should have known that the end would be smelling of death.
My old fascination with potholes and b-skins had
conspired with evil to bring me down low...
and actually watch the old pictures of grim windows
show me what evil would have me become.
Now I have to get myself out of my pothole.
My digging in mire has brought me to naught
but regret and a fog-walking
into the realm that I have known for so long.
I finally remember the call of the savior to
seek and to save that what was lost,
and cast my sins into the sea of the forgotten
as an outpouring of love and His grace.
"Jesus! I need you to touch me and heal me; for you
are the One whom my heart longs to reach.
Just the hem of your garment brought healing to one...
but You are near me, and speaking of grace.
My Lord and my savior,
Be near me today.

7 comments:

batgirl said...

Made me think of these verses from James 1: 14but each one is tempted when, by his own evil desire, he is dragged away and enticed. 15Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death.

Another good one, Lynne. Been there. Done that.

Helios Power and Control said...

this verse form suits you, Lynne. this piece is so devotional it scarcely needs to hide at the Edge. nice job, you.

Unknown said...

Very familiar scenario...great analogy and word picture Lynne. Thanks for reminding us of God's ultimate grace.

ellehasuly said...

I am tickled past pink that it has resonated with you all. The Lord gave me this one rapid fire one night this summer, and thankfully I was obedient enough to jot it down...

Love ya,
Have a cup o'joy
and a fresh taste of the bread of heaven...

Lynne

Anonymous said...

"If the Lord had not helped me, I would soon have dwelt in the silence of death. When I said my foot is slipping, your love, O Lord, supported me" Ps.94:16. Over and over through the ages, the same as before. God surely knew and made a way.
Thanks for blowing my mind, Lynn, now I have to go shampoo the rugs again.

ellehasuly said...

Be blessed, sister! It was my joy to share this post with you all. I am so glad that it resonated with you, Judy!

Love ya,
see you Sunday!

Lynne

ellehasuly said...

Miss Judy,

I do love the way you jump into my brain with your word pictures...I hope you figure out a reliable stain remover for your rugs...anyway...thanks for responding to my whacky mental deposits...

Praise the Lord and pass the hummus, I do look forward to your comments...

Love ya,
Have a cup o'joy,
and a fresh taste of the bread of heaven...

Lynne