Tuesday, September 4, 2007

HAND ON THE PLOW

by Judy

Left home thirty years ago
But I might as well have stayed
For all the voices that accuse
Came with me anyway
For here inside
The locusts thrive
This dog's waitin' for a day

My hand's on the plow
But this thing's not movin'
You give me life
But I keep on choosin'
Fear and emotion
I can't resist
To keep lookin' back
Though it makes me unfit

Lord You are a fortress
But then again so am I
All attempts to fortify
Futility exercised
Make a nosedive
Under blankets of night
While my enemies hide in plain sight

My hand's on the plow
But this thing's not movin'
You give me life
But I keep on choosin'
Fear and emotion
I can't resist
To keep lookin' back
Though it makes me unfit

A prophet has no honor
No place to lay his head
Better go and find a foxhole
Before you wind up dead
Yeah, this is war
Lord, come restore
And I'll make you my bed

My hand's on the plow
But this thing's not movin'
You give me life
But I keep on choosin'
Fear and emotion
I can't resist
To keep lookin' back
Though it makes me unfit

11 comments:

batgirl said...

Judy, this is powerful and sure hits home for me, especially the chorus. Looking back...emotion... what we need is HIS hand on the plow. Keep those creative juices flowing. This is good, good stuff. Can't wait to hear Die Job perform it live.

technical note: on the second to last stanza, is "bead" supposed to be "bed?" Let me know and I'll fix it if it is. :)

ellehasuly said...

You have delivered on this one, sister. Thanks for sharing this kickin' song; the lyrics will stay with me and remind me...

Have a great day,
joy and hummus,
Lynne

Anonymous said...

Thanks Janet. Yeah, please make the correction. I find it mortifying for some egotistical reason. Jesus said,"he who looks back while his hand is on the plow is not fit for service in the Kingdomm of God." Now THAT"S mortifying! And a terriblr life practice of mine that I am being freed from by practicing the things we talked about last night.. It all comes down to trusting Jesus with our lives. Cinchy! Remember: He who began a good work in you will see it through to completion until the day of Christ Jesus. Phil. 1:6

Anonymous said...

Jesus delivered, and delivers! By the way, He has delivered the rest of what we prayed for at the meeting. Praise God who helps me stop pulling my hair out.

batgirl said...

Okay. Fixed it:)
Yes, praise be to God, who keeps my wooly butt out of slimy pits.
He is at work. Amen.

ellehasuly said...

Here's to the deliverance of wooly buts from slimy pits! That phrase just hits the spot for some reason. I can picture a farmer pulling a sheep out of a dew-laden hole. Again, thanks for the imagery...

Have a cup o'joy
and a fresh taste of the bread of heaven...
Lynne

Unknown said...

Judy, great song!!! Wow, It is really amazing...are you going to put it to music?(or have it put to music?) A great big YES to all that has been said. God is doing a mighty work!!! All praise to Jesus!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Christa,
No music as of, looks like more prayer is needed. (Imagine that!)

ellehasuly said...

This is some of what I was talking about when I wrote "Gone Fishing"...Looking back with nostalgia and not reality can get us into trouble. One foot in the stream of life and one foot in the grave...it can be hard to move forward on the path when you don't know where you want to walk...

Joy,
Lynne

batgirl said...

Judy, wanted to let you know that I will pray for music. and more lyrics. there's much more in that heart of yours, I'm sure!

Unknown said...

Looooooove it "Sistuh!" Believe me when I say, "I get it..." Keep'em coming.